The unexpected rub Chef Luke uses here makes each bite incredibly surprising. Alternately spicy and smooth, the rub brings out the best in this juicy roast.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (2 1/2 pound) trimmed Kansas City strip roast|
|Chocolate Chipotle Peanut Butter Rub:|
|5 tsp. Hy-Vee garlic salt|
|1 ½ tsp. savory|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee dried thyme|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee onion powder|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|1 ½ tsp. herbes de Provence|
|1 ½ tsp. chipotle chili powder|
|1 ½ tsp. smoked Spanish paprika|
|5 tsp. PB2|
|½ tsp. celery salt|
|1 tsp. cayenne pepper|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|Chef Luke's Thyme Baby Bella Cream Sauce:|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|2 medium shallots, finely chopped|
|1 (8 oz) pkg baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|1 (8 oz) pkg baby bella mushrooms, chopped in half|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee dried thyme|
|½ c. VSOP brandy|
|1 qt. Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|1 (8 oz) pkg Hy-Vee cream cheese, cut into small cubes|
|1 tsp. kosher salt|
|Freshly cracked Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to come to room temperature before cooking.
- To make Chocolate Chipotle Peanut Butter Rub, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. If desired, run through a spice grinder for smoother consistency.
- Spread rub over roast, covering all sides well. Place meat on rack over baking sheet and roast for 40 to 50 minutes depending on desired doneness. Lightly tent it with a single layer of foil and let rest, untouched, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meat will continue to cook as it rests. Plan on meat increasing about 10 degrees. An internal temperature of 140 degrees is rare, 160 degrees is medium, so remove meat from oven accordingly.
- Meanwhile, to prepare Chef Luke's Thyme Mushroom Cream Sauce, heat a medium saucepan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and shallots. Sauté for about 1 minute to release flavor.
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes; add dried thyme. Cook for an additional 5 minutes to reduce moisture and lightly brown the mushrooms.
- Add brandy; be careful as it may ignite. Cook until liquid volume is reduced by half. Add heavy whipping cream and reduce heat to medium and bring to a low simmer. Whisk in cream cheese until sauce is a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low to hold until the roast is done resting. Adjust with milk if sauce becomes too thick.
- Slice roast to desired thickness and serve with sauce.
580 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 49g
- Cholesterol: 170mg
- Sodium: 1440mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 24g
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2013.