Thai Pasta Salad
A beautiful salad! Fresh green soybeans are available in late summer. At other times of the year, you may use frozen green soybeans.
Servings and Ingredients
|¾ c. water|
|2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar|
|2 tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce|
|¼ c. tahini or peanut butter|
|2 tbsp. sugar|
|¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional|
|1 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|2 tsp. minced fresh ginger|
|½ packet(s) silken tofu (about 5 oz)|
|1 c. fresh or frozen green soybeans|
|½ lbs. snowpeas, cut in 1-inch pieces|
|1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 c. broccoli florets|
|2 carrots, sliced|
|8 oz. vermicelli, broken in half|
|1 tsp. dark sesame oil|
|¼ c. green onions, thinly sliced|
- Prepare dressing by pureeing water, vinegar, soy sauce, tahini, sugar, red pepper, garlic, ginger and tofu in blender until smooth. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Cook soybeans until just tender, about 15 minutes. Place whole pods in pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, simmer 5 minutes, then drain. When cool enough to handle, remove beans from pod. Simmer shelled beans an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preparing one type of vegetable at a time, blanch snowpeas, bell pepper and broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute each. Blanch the carrots for 2 minutes.
- Rinse vegetables in cold water. Drain well.
- Cook vermicelli according to package directions. Rinse with cold water, drain and toss with sesame oil.
- Add soybeans and blanched vegetables to vermicelli and refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, pour dressing over pasta. Add green onions and toss well.
200 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 130mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 9g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.