Summery Grilled Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
"Make this your entire meal if you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet. It provides both filling fiber and plant-based proteins," Whitney Larson, Hy-Vee Dietitian, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Servings and Ingredients
|1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee ground cumin, divided|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|2 ear(s) sweet corn, husked|
|8 mini bell peppers|
|1 (15 oz) can Hy-Vee black beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped|
|¼ c. sliced green onions|
|1 to 2 jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and chopped*|
|2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro|
|¼ c. fresh lime juice|
|2 oz. Cotija cheese, crumbled|
- Shuck sweet corn.
- Lightly grease the rack of a charcoal or gas grill.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, place sweet potato slices; drizzle with olive oil. Combine 1/2 teaspoon cumin, salt and black pepper. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Grill sweet potatoes and corn for 6 to 8 minutes or until fork tender, turning halfway through cooking. Add bell peppers during the last 2 minutes of grilling. Remove all vegetables from grill and cool. Halve sweet potato slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, avocado, green onions, chile peppers and cilantro. Chop bell peppers, and remove corn from cob; add with sweet potatoes to black bean mixture. Stir in lime juice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- Serve the salad warm or chilled. Just before serving, top salad with Cotija cheese.
- *Note: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with jalapeños, wear protective gloves.
140 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 17g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 60%
Vitamin C 70%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2016.