Roasted Soy Nuts
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. soybeans|
|salt, if desired|
|1 tsp. lower-sodium soy sauce, optional|
|2 tsp. water, optional|
|¼ tsp. garlic powder, optional|
|¼ tsp. Italian herbs, optional|
- USING SOYBEANS SOAKED 8 HOURS OR MORE (Microwave method): Use 1 cup soybeans. Drain well. Spread beans in a single layer in a 9-inch or 10-inch glass pie plate. Salt before roasting, if desired.
- Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Stir, then cook 3 minutes more. After that, cook 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute to ensure even browning.
- Total time will vary depending on moisture in beans and oven wattage, but will probably take 9 to 12 minutes.
- When the beans are beginning to get hard and golden, switch to 30-second microwaving intervals to avoid burning. Soy nuts are done when golden brown and crunchy.
- USING SOYBEANS SOAKED 8 HOURS OR MORE (Oven method): Use up to 2 cups of beans per baking sheet. Drain beans and spread into single layer. Salt before roasting, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees, stirring after 15 minutes, then stirring every 5 minutes until golden brown and crunchy.
- Total time will vary depending on moisture in the beans, but should take about 25 minutes. Watch carefully when the beans are getting close to done to avoid overcooking.
- USING SOYBEANS COOKED UNTIL TENDER (Microwave method): Use the same method as for soaked soybeans in the microwave, but the total cooking time will be about 12 to 15 minutes.
- USING SOYBEANS COOKED UNTIL TENDER (Oven method): Use the same method as oven baking for soaked soybeans, but the total cooking time will be about 30 minutes.
- ITALIAN HERB NUTS variation: For 1 cup of soybeans, combine 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce and 2 teaspoons water in small dish.
- In another dish, mix 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon Italian herbs. When beans are almost done, sprinkle the soy sauce mixture over and then the herb mixture over them. Stir quickly to coat all beans.
- Finish roasting in the oven or microwave.
61 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.