Servings and Ingredients
|3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast|
|6 tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided|
|6 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided|
|2 c. hot water|
|2 tsp. beef bouillon granules|
|1 medium onion, quartered|
|1 tsp. salt|
|½ tsp. pepper|
|4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces|
- Sprinkle beef roast with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Brown floured meat on all sides in 3 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven. Add hot water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add carrots. Cover and simmer 45 to 60 minutes or longer, until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and carrots; keep warm. Strain and reserve juices.
- In the same Dutch oven, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in remaining 5 tablespoons flour. Cook until boiling, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups reserved juices and stir until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened. Add more cooking juices if necessary until gravy is the desired consistency.