Soup, Chili & Stew
Mexican Chicken Chili
Servings and Ingredients
|1 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 chicken breasts)|
|1 tbsp. olive oil|
|10 c. water|
|2 c. chicken stock|
|½ c. tomato sauce|
|1 medium potato, peeled and chopped|
|1 small onion, diced|
|1 c. frozen yellow corn|
|½ medium carrot, diced|
|1 celery, diced|
|1 c. canned tomatoes, diced|
|1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, plus liquid|
|¼ c. canned pimiento, diced|
|1 jalapeno pepper, diced|
|¼ c. Italian parsley, chopped|
|1 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|1 ½ tsp. chili powder|
|1 tsp. cumin|
|¼ tsp. salt|
|sour cream and chopped Italian parsley, for garnish|
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches if necessary, for about 7 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from pan and cool until easy to handle. Do not rinse pan.
- Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Stir in water, stock, tomato sauce, potato, onion, corn, carrot, celery, tomatoes, kidney beans, pimiento, jalapeno pepper, parsley, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir often to break up chicken. Chili will reduce substantially, thicken and darken (be less orange and more brown).
- Combine sour cream with a pinch of chopped parsley. Serve as a topping, if desired.