Rubbing a compound herb butter underneath the skin enhances flavor and keeps the meat tender and juicy while roasting. A high oven temperature promises a crisp skin with more delicious flavor.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|¼ c.||aged white cheddar cheese, finely shredded|
|2 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|2 tbsp.||fresh Italian parsley, chopped|
|2 tbsp.||fresh basil, chopped|
|2 tbsp.||fresh chives, chopped|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher salt, divided|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper, divided|
|1||(5- to 6-pound) whole roasting chicken|
|1||medium fennel bulb|
|4||medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths|
|2||medium red potatoes, quartered|
|¼ c.||chicken broth|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
Things To Grab
- Wooden spoon
- 100% cotton kitchen string
- Roasting rack
- Roasting pan
- Large bowl
- Meat thermometer
- Zest lemon; set zest aside. Cut lemon into quarters. Juice two of the quarters for 2 teaspoons lemon juice; set aside. Reserve remaining quarters for cavity of chicken.
- For compound butter, in a bowl combine butter, cheese, garlic, parsley, basil, chives, reserved lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix until smooth and well-blended.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Starting at the neck of chicken, use handle of wooden spoon or fingers to carefully separate skin from meat of the breast, thighs and legs of chicken, being careful not to tear the skin. Spoon all but 2 tablespoons compound butter under skin; use fingers to push and press some of the mixture out to thighs and legs.
Stuff lemon quarters into cavity of chicken. Tie legs together with clean 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Place chicken, breast-side up, on rack in roasting pan. Rub chicken with remaining compound butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cut off and discard fennel stalks. Remove any wilted outer layers; cut a thin slice from base of bulb. Cut bulb into quarters lengthwise. Cut core out of each quarter. Cut quarters lengthwise into wedges. Place fennel in a large bowl. Add carrots and potatoes. Stir in chicken broth and olive oil. Arrange vegetables around chicken in pan.
- Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink (165 degrees in thigh), stirring vegetables a few times. Add small amount of chicken broth if pan gets too brown.
Remove chicken from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove lemon from cavity, and discard.
Serve chicken with vegetables and pan juices. Or, if desired, serve with Simple Pan Gravy.
Related Content, Side Dish
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Sodium: 530mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 15g
- Protein: 29g