Bet you didn't think it was out there. But here have you it... a mac & cheese recipe that's high in protein, calcium, and fiber. We like the sound of that.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c.||Hy-Vee whole wheat rotini pasta|
|2 ½ tbsp.||organic Kalona butter, divided|
|2||small leeks, white part only, chopped|
|1||garlic clove, minced|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee flour|
|1 c.||Full Circle organic non-fat milk|
|1||(6 oz) container Hy-Vee non-fat plain Greek yogurt|
|1 ½ c.||shredded Cabot sharp extra light cheddar cheese (75%-less-fat)|
|3||wedges Laughing Cow reduced-fat Swiss cheese|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee whole wheat breadcrumbs|
|4 c.||baby arugula|
|1 c.||halved cherry tomatoes|
|Squeeze of fresh lemon|
|Hy-Vee Select olive oil, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter; add leeks and garlic and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside. In the same pot, melt remaining butter; add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in milk until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and add yogurt, Cabot sharp cheddar cheese and Laughing Cow cheese; mix well.
- Add the cooked leeks and garlic, pasta, paprika and salt to the sauce and stir to combine; season to taste with black pepper. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and bread crumbs have browned.
- In a separate bowl, combine baby arugula, tomatoes, lemon juice and olive oil to taste; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve macaroni and cheese topped with the baby arugula salad.
330 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 41g
- Protein: 21g
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 15%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2013.