A robust homemade steak sauce and crumbled blue cheese bring sumptuous richness to grilled steak. Leafy green kale is a tasty, nutritious and trendy side that cooks quickly while the steak grills.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|5 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil, divided|
|1||medium yellow onion, thinly sliced|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee ketchup|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|¼ c.||fresh lemon juice|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Select balsamic vinegar|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|2 tbsp.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee garlic powder|
|6||(8 oz each) boneless New York Strip steaks, 1 inch thick|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee pepper and garlic seasoning|
|8 c.||torn fresh kale|
|1 tsp.||crushed red pepper flakes|
|Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled, to taste|
- For caramelized onions, in a large skillet heat butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- While onions are cooking, in a small saucepan whisk together ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Stir caramelized onions into sauce; set aside.
- Rub steaks with pepper and garlic seasoning. Let stand for 10 minutes. Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium heat for direct cooking.
- Grill steaks to desired doneness, turning once. Grill 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (160 degrees). Let steaks rest for 3 to 5 minutes, so juices redistribute evenly throughout the steak.
- Cook kale in batches in remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until wilted. Season to taste with salt and sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
- Top steaks with caramelized onion steak sauce and Gorgonzola. Serve with kale.
590 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 38g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 1570mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 44g
Vitamin A 45%
Vitamin C 60%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2015.