Gluten-Free Roasted Winter Squash and Mozzarella Quesadillas
This recipe will warm your taste buds and your belly now and any time of the year.
Servings and Ingredients
|6 c.||cubed butternut squash|
|1 ½ c.||diced red bell peppers|
|1 tbsp.||diced garlic|
|1 tbsp.||olive oil|
|2 dash(es)||black pepper|
|¾ c.||diced tomatoes|
|3 tbsp.||chopped cilantro, divided|
|6||(6-inch) corn tortillas|
|1 ½ c.||shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese, divided|
|½ c.||trimmed, thinly sliced green onions|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the butternut squash, red pepper and garlic with olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Spread vegetables on a foil-lined cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes until they are tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the squash mixture is cooking, combine the diced tomatoes and onions. Add 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Set aside to be used as salsa.
- Lay tortillas on parchment-lined baking sheets. Place 1/4 cup mozzarella on one-half of each tortilla.
- Distribute roasted squash mixture evenly on top of the cheese, followed by green onions and remaining cilantro. Fold tortillas in half to form quesadillas.
- Place in a 200 degree-oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with fresh salsa on the side of the quesadilla.
- Tip: For easier cutting, soften small squash by cooking in the microwave oven on HIGH for 3 to 5 minutes or until shell can be pierced with a knife.
190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 29g
- Protein: 11g
Vitamin A 300%
Vitamin C 120%
adapted from Recipe for Healthy Kids, challenge.gov.