Gluten-Free Ham and Chicken Skewers with Smoked Gouda Sauce
You can lighten up the sauce by using half and half instead of heavy whipping cream. The real flavor is coming from the smoked gouda.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c. plus 3 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour, divided|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 c. plus 2 tbsp Hy-Vee skim milk, divided|
|1 c. gluten-free panko crumbs|
|2 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage, oregano and/or thyme|
|¾ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|4 (1/4-inch thick) slices Di Lusso country-style ham (about 10 oz total)|
|3 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|2 tbsp. Di Lusso deli-style mustard|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|1 c. heavy whipping cream|
|4 oz. Di Lusso smoked Gouda cheese*, shredded|
|1 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed and steamed|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup gluten-free flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, stir together eggs and 2 tablespoons milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine panko crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper. Set all three bowls aside.
- Cut each ham slice into quarters; set aside. Cut each chicken breast into 1-1/2-inch chunks. Working in batches, coat chicken with flour. Dip in egg mixture; lastly coat with crumb mixture.
- Alternately thread crumb-coated chicken and ham onto eight 6-inch-long skewers. Arrange skewers on prepared pan.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; combine with mustard. Brush onto skewered ham.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- For smoked Gouda sauce, in a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium to medium-high heat. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour until combined. Whisk in remaining 1 cup milk and cream. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in cheese until smooth. Serve sauce with skewers and steamed green beans.
- *Have deli cut about a 1-inch slice of cheese so it can be easily shredded at home.
760 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 32g
- Cholesterol: 280mg
- Sodium: 3160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 65g
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 25%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2015.