Fresh Crab and Avocado Dip with Crispy Tortillas
Servings and Ingredients
|4 firm but ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into large cubes|
|¼ c. sour cream|
|1 red Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped|
|4 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided|
|4 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives, divided|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|2 lbs. King crab legs|
|½ c. mayonnaise|
|3 tbsp. thinly sliced fresh basil|
|Canola oil, for deep frying|
|6 fresh corn tortillas, torn into large wedges|
|Additional kosher salt, to taste|
|Fresh basil leaves, for garnish|
- To make avocado dip:
- In large bowl, gently toss avocados, sour cream, chile, 3 tablespoons lime juice and 2 tablespoons chives. Season avocado mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- To make crab dip:
- Using kitchen scissors, cut a long lengthwise slit down bottom side of crab leg shells to expose meat, then pull out meat. Gently squeeze crabmeat to exude excess liquid. You should have about 1 pound of crabmeat. Break crabmeat into large chunks.
- In another bowl, fold crabmeat, mayonnaise, sliced basil, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and 2 tablespoons chives. Season crab mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- To make tortilla chips:
- In wok or heavy large pot, heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Working in batches, fry tortilla wedges until they are crisp and golden brown, turning often so that they brown evenly on both sides, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon or mesh strainer, transfer corn chips to paper towels to drain excess oil. While chips are still hot, sprinkle them lightly with salt.
- To assemble and serve:
- Spoon avocado dip into 16 martini glasses. Spoon crab on top. Garnish each with a basil leaf and 1 or 2 tortilla chips and serve, passing remaining chips alongside.