Candied Citrus Bars
To extract the most juice, roll the room temperature citrus on a cutting board with the palm before juicing the fruit.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|4 tbsp.||Hy-Vee cornstarch, divided|
|½ c.||plus 1/4 c. Hy-Vee butter, cold, sliced, divided|
|1 ¼ c.||strained fresh orange juice (4 oranges)|
|¼ c.||strained fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)|
|⅔ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|Candied tangerine slices*|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium saucepan whisk together egg yolks, citrus juices, granulated sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup butter. Pour filling over hot crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars; top each with candied tangerine slices.
- For candied tangerines slices, cut a tangerine into very thin slices. Place slices in a saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In same saucepan, combine tangerine slices with 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup Hy-Vee granulated sugar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slices are tender and translucent. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
220 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Sodium: 5mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 25%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2015.