California Cream Puffs
With its exquisite taste, lavender adds a sophisticated accent to the tender pudding-filled desserts.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ c. water, divided|
|½ c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|1 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|4 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|2 c. whipping cream|
|½ c. Hy-Vee skim milk|
|1 (3.4 oz) pkg Hy-Vee instant lemon pudding mix|
|4 tbsp. plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice|
|1 tsp. grated lemon zest|
|1 tbsp. dried lavender blossoms|
|2 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|Additional dried lavender blossoms|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup water, butter and salt over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Add flour; stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in eggs, one at a time, until each is incorporated. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open star decorating tip with cream puff dough. Pipe 1-1/2-inch-diameter circles of dough onto prepared baking sheet, spacing each 2 inches apart. Continue piping 2 more circles on top of each dough portion, ending with a point in the center. Bake puffs for 22 to 23 minutes or until golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To make filling, in a large mixing bowl add whipping cream, milk, pudding mix, 4 tablespoons lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat with an electric mixer on low to combine. Beat on medium for 2 minutes or until thickened, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high for 30 to 60 seconds or until stiff peaks form. Cover and chill at least 20 minutes.
- To make icing, in a small saucepan, bring remaining 1/2 cup water to boiling. Add lavender blossoms; remove from heat and steep for 5 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove lavender; discard lavender, reserving lavender water. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lavender water and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to make a thin icing.
- To assemble, fill a decorating bag fitted with a slender round decorating tip with lemon cream filling. Poke a hole in the bottom of each cream puff; fill with lemon filling. Cover and chill up to 3 hours. Dip filled cream puffs into lavender icing, allowing excess to drip off. Place on parchment or on a cooling rack; sprinkle with additional lavender buds. Let stand until icing is firm, about 30 minutes.
190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 90mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2014.