Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl stir flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Chill 10 minutes.
Biscuits and Gravy
This southern breakfast favorite comes with homemade biscuits and a homemade pork gravy.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|5 tbsp.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee honey|
|1 lbs.||Hy-Vee Blue Ribbon mild pork sausage|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|2||(12-oz. each) cans Hy-Vee evaporated milk|
|⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee freshly cracked black pepper|
Things To Grab
- Medium bowl
- Pastry blender
- Rolling pin
- 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large saucepan
- Slotted spoon
- Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 strokes.
- Lightly roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9-by-5-inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding of piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Reroll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9-by-5-inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat into a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large saucepan. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving drippings in saucepan.
- Add butter to drippings and melt over medium heat. Gradually add flour, whisking constantly until smooth. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, continuing to whisk constantly.
- Return sausage to saucepan and heat until thickened and bubbly. Season with black pepper.
- Cut the biscuits in half horizontally and serve warm topped with sausage gravy.
450 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 27g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 380mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 16g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook.