Tinted different shades of red and coated with coarse sugar, these adorable melt-in-your-mouth cookie sandwiches will be on everyone's wish list. Bake at the minimum time for softer cookies.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c.||Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee almond extract|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|1 tsp.||cream of tartar|
|2 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|Red food coloring|
|½ c.||plus 2 tbsp Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|2 c.||powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|2 tsp.||almond extract|
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, baking soda and cream of tartar until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into thirds. Place each portion in small mixing bowls. Using a toothpick, add a small amount of red food coloring to each portion. Beat each portion until thoroughly combined and desired shade is reached. Chill dough portions for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Using 1-1/2-inch diameter cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Coat top of each cutout with coarse sugar. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Reroll scraps as necessary.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- For buttercream frosting, in a medium mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, milk and 2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium until smooth and creamy.
- Spread a scant teaspoon of frosting over bottoms of half the cookies. Press the bottoms of the remaining cookies against the frosting.
- To store: Layer unfrosted cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before frosting.
230 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 60mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2014.