Almond Linzer Cookies
Use small cookie cutters to make all kinds of fun shapes in these giftable cookies.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅔ c. Hy-Vee slivered almonds|
|½ c. packed Hy-Vee brown sugar, divided|
|1 c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|2 ½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|½ c. seedless raspberry or apricot preserves|
|Powdered sugar, for dusting|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Cool.
- Place almonds and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in almond mixture and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 1-1/4-inch square cutter, cut out cookies. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Using 3/4-inch cutters, cut desired shapes from centers of half of the cookies. Reroll scraps as necessary.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool.
- Sift powdered sugar onto cookies with shapes cut in the middle. Spread a small amount of preserves over the flat sides (bottoms) of the cookies with no cutout centers. Top with powdered sugar-covered cookies, bottom sides down. Serve within 2 hours.
- To store: Layer unassembled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies. Assemble as directed.
80 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 40mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.