Hy-Vee Celebrates National Family Meals Month this September
September 1, 2020 | News & Press Releases
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (Sept. 1, 2020) — Hy-Vee, Inc. celebrates National Family Meals Month this September with resources, solutions and giveaways that will bring families together for mealtime in unique ways in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Created by FMI - The Food Industry Association, National Family Meals Month is an industry-inspired movement to raise consumer awareness of the health and societal benefits of sharing frequent family meals. Research shows that children who share regular family meals typically display better grades, improved nutrition, stronger family relationships and higher self-esteem, and they are less likely to use drugs and alcohol.
While it’s often difficult for families to find time to sit down and enjoy a meal together due to busy schedules, this year has proven unique due to COVID-19. Now, more families are cooking and eating meals at home, and Hy-Vee is committed to bringing them together around the dinner table by making mealtime even easier.
Throughout the month, Hy-Vee is providing tools to help families have at least one more meal together each week. Hy-Vee’s support of National Family Meals Month includes the following (additional announcements will be made throughout the month of September as well):
• A fun sweepstakes will be held that will give families the chance to participate in a 90-second shopping spree to win free groceries plus the opportunity to earn an additional $1,000. The shopping spree events will be held in select markets in celebration of Hy-Vee’s 90th anniversary and National Family Meals Month. All events will take place before store hours where employees and participants will wear masks and maintain social distancing to keep everyone safe. Information on how to enter will be shared on Hy-Vee’s Facebook page and website.
• Contactless, drive-thru giveaways offering free Hy-Vee Mealtime dinners will be held in select markets. Approximately 500 meal kits that serve 4-6 people will be given away at each event to help bring families around the dinner table as well as help those who might be financially burdened due to COVID-19.
• Kids can eat free with each purchase of an adult entrée every day in September at all Hy-Vee food service departments, as well as Wahlburgers at Hy-Vee and Hy-Vee Market Grille locations. Get one free kids meal with each purchase of a select adult entrée. Valid for dine-in & carry out or delivery from hy-vee.com/mealtime. Delivery where available. Valid for children ages 12 and younger.
• Daily recipes, weekly meal ideas and grab-and-go dinner options will be offered on Hy-Vee’s social media platforms to make mealtime easier. The Hy-Vee KidsFit social media platforms will share videos and resources to encourage kids and parents to stay active and make healthy choices together.
• A digital Family Cooking Guide containing themed recipes will help support various dietary needs and lifestyles. This resource is available on hy-vee.com/familymeals.
• Live cooking demonstrations with Hy-Vee dietitians will take place each Sunday at 5 p.m. (CT) on the Hy-Vee Facebook page. Viewers can participate in the Q&A session and enter for the chance to win prizes.
• Free, virtual family friendly health and wellness classes led by Hy-Vee dietitians will help educate children and adults on how to manage healthy lifestyles.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating more than 275 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $10 billion annually. The supermarket chain is synonymous with quality, variety, convenience, healthy lifestyles, culinary expertise and superior customer service. Hy-Vee ranks in the Top 10 Most Trusted Brands and has been named one of America’s Top 5 favorite grocery stores. The company’s more than 85,000 employees provide “A Helpful Smile in Every Aisle” to customers every day. For additional information, visit www.hy-vee.com.