- Keep text in a clear and professional font, proofread and use correct grammar. Name, phone number, address and email should be in a different color, but easy to read.
- One page total for resume, most recent on top. One (separate) page for references. Have copies to hand out during the interview process.
- If you do not have job experience, focus on school achievements, group and volunteer work.
- If you need help writing a resume or do not know where to start, Word has prebuilt resumes. Also, try My Perfect Resume to help build your resume.
- Have a professional email address. It is okay to have multiple but use a professional one when looking for employment.
- Check emails often when looking for employment.
- Have a professional voice message.
- Make sure you can accept a new voicemail. How often do you check it?
- Answer the phone in a professional manner. If you miss a call, return it in a timely manner.
- Dress for the position. If you do not have professional dress clothes, wear your best outfit.
- Have a copy of your resume and references to hand out.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before your interview. Remember your interview starts the second you walk into the store. Watch manners and cell phone until after the interview.
- Use good eye contact, answer questions fully but do not interrupt, sit up in the chair, don't use your cell phone, and address the interviewer by name when possible.
- Know what position(s) you applied for, have an open mind to other positions if given the opportunity. Make sure that you read the job description and ask questions if you have them.
*Due to the nature of our retail business, night and weekend availability may be required.
- Be prepared to ask questions and take notes.
- Be authentic in the interview and give honest answers. Give examples and show your strength, yet be honest about weaknesses.
- Ask when you should hear back about the position.
- Thank the interviewer for their time and the opportunity.
- Remember the names of those who interviewed. Follow up with a thank you card or email.
- Don’t forget to smile!