Heart Health Tour – Free Biometric Screenings
January 30, 2018 | News & Press Releases
Dates: Feb. 1-28, 2018
Location: Hy-Vee Healthy You Mobiles at Hy-Vee Stores
Service: Free Biometric Screenings
In honor of Heart Health Month, Hy-Vee has partnered with multiple companies and organizations to provide 3,000 free biometric screenings throughout our eight-state region during the month of February. Over the course of 21 days, eight Hy-Vee Healthy You mobiles will offer free biometric screenings at 164 Hy-Vee stores. The following organizations helped make the screenings possible: All Whites; National Cattlemen’s Beef Association; California Walnuts; Frescados; McKesson; Metamucil; National Watermelon Promotion Board; Quaker; and Smart Chicken. Each person who receives a screening will be given a Heart Health giveaway bag that includes samples, coupons and educational materials.
Click here for a listing of stops to find one near you!
What is a biometric screening?
A biometric screening is a combination of measurements and readings about certain health factors that may be helpful in identifying potential risk factors for chronic diseases or conditions, like heart disease, hypertension or diabetes.
What can I expect during my biometric screening appointment?
The clinicians will collect several body measurements. They will collect a blood sample from a finger prick that will be used to determine your cholesterol levels, triglycerides and glucose levels. They will also take resting blood pressure; measurements of height, weight and waist; and body mass index.
All information is kept confidential and complies with the requirements of HIPAA. The entire screening process typically lasts 15 to 20 minutes and you will receive all your results during this appointment. The clinician will review the results of your screening during your appointment. The purpose of the results review is not to provide a diagnosis or specific medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Preparation for your screening
- You must fast for 9 to 12 hours prior to screening time. This means no food or beverages, including caffeinated beverages, other than water. If you do not fast, your test results will not be accurate.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Continue to take any medications prescribed by your physician the day of the screening. If food is required with the medication, choose a healthy lower-sodium, lower-fat and lower-sugar snack.
- If you are diabetic, pregnant or have a medical issue, check with your physician before fasting.
- Avoid smoking and bathing for 30 minutes prior to testing.
- Wear loose-fitting sleeves or be prepared to remove clothing with bulky sleeves.
- Please do not use any lotions on your hands or glycerin soaps.
- Please do not use any adhesive or products like SortKwik. If you use SortKwik or put lotion on, please clean hands with soap and warm water prior to appointment.
- For the most accurate body fat testing, please plan accordingly.
- If you are a pregnant woman and/or have a pacemakers or defibrillator, you SHOULD NOT be tested.
- Nothing to eat or drink for at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment.
- No exercise for at least 12 hours before your appointment.
- No ingestion of diuretics (this includes caffeine), unless prescribed by a physician.
- Abstain from alcohol for at least 48 hours before your appointment.
- Urinate 30 minutes before your appointment.