A 9-by-13-inch cake made from scratch or a box mix will supply enough crumbs for the blue and red cake balls.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (18.25 oz) box Hy-Vee extra moist white cake mix|
|1 ¼ c. water|
|3 egg whites|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee vegetable oil|
|7 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|1 ½ c. finely crushed chocolate wafers or Hy-Vee chocolate graham crackers (about 9 full graham cracker sheets)|
|1 (16 oz) jar hot fudge topping, warmed|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee creamy buttercream frosting, divided|
|Several drops red food coloring|
|Several drops blue food coloring|
|12 c. It's Your Churn vanilla ice cream, softened, divided|
|1 c. thawed Hy-Vee whipped topping|
|Festive sprinkles, for garnish|
Things To Grab
- Prepare cake according to package directions with water, egg whites and vegetable oil for a 9-by-13-inch cake. Cool completely.
- Line bottoms of two 9-inch springform pans with removable bottoms with parchment paper; set aside. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- For crust, combine melted butter and crumbs. Spread in bottom of one prepared springform pan, pressing evenly. Spread fudge topping on top. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Place half of prepared cake, 2 tablespoons buttercream frosting and red food coloring in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Measure out 1-1/2-ounce portions of cake mixture and roll into balls until smooth (about 1-inch balls). Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Clean food processor. Repeat Step 4, except use blue food coloring. Cover and freeze cake balls until needed.
- Spread 2 cups softened ice cream over fudge layer in spring form pan. Spread 2 cups more softened ice cream in remaining spring form pan. Freeze layers for 1 hour or until firm.
Randomly arrange red and blue cake balls on top of ice cream layers. Spoon 6 cups softened ice cream around and over cake balls, filling pans to the top. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- To assemble cake, remove frozen desserts from pans; peel off parchment paper. Place dessert with crumb crust on serving plate. Spread top with whipped cream. Top with remaining dessert. Spread remaining 2 cups softened ice cream over sides and top. Decorate with sprinkles. Freeze for 2 hours or until cake is firm. If desired, just before serving insert sparklers—used for decorative purposes only—into cake.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 28g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 75g
- Protein: 7g