Simple Roast Chicken and Veggies
One of the biggest cooking myths out there is that roasting a chicken is difficult. Get started with this simple recipe and you'll be hooked. Plus, roasting the chicken and veggies together in one pan makes for easy clean up.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(4-1/2-to-5lb.) whole roasting chicken, giblets removed and discarded|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|2 tbsp.||fresh herbs, such as: rosemary, thyme, basil and/or oregano, chopped|
|Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|4 oz.||red potatoes, quartered|
|4 oz.||small carrots, with tops, halved|
|4 oz.||Brussels sprouts, halved|
Things To Grab
- 100% cotton kitchen twine
- Shallow roasting pan with rack
- Medium bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail with 100 percent cotton kitchen twine. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Zest lemon. Combine zest with olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Toss potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts together in a medium bowl. Add half of the herb mixture; tossing to coat. Arrange vegetables around chicken in roasting pan.
- Rub remaining herb mixture over chicken. Quarter zested lemon and add to chicken cavity. Roast chicken and vegetables, uncovered, for 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in a breast registers 155 degrees. Remove chicken and vegetables from oven; cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
430 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 145 mg
- Sodium: 170 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Protein: 50 g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 60%