Pineapple Ambrosia Salad Bowl
Servings and Ingredients
|5 large oranges|
|2 large grapefruits|
|4 c. cubed (1/2-inch) fresh pineapple (use flesh from hollowed-out pineapple bowl)|
|2 tbsp. confectioner's sugar|
|½ c. vanilla coconut milk, such as Silk PureCoconut Milk|
|1 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
|½ c. sweetened shredded coconut, toasted and cooled|
|1 pineapple bowl|
|½ c. crushed shredded mini wheat cereal, for serving|
- Grate 1 teaspoon zest from 1 orange; set zest aside.
- Cut away peel and pith from oranges and grapefruits. Quarter oranges and grapefruits and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Combine oranges, grapefruits, pineapple and confectioner's sugar in a bowl and toss gently to combine. Transfer fruit mixture to colander set over bowl and let drain for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally; discard liquid (or save for another use).
- Whisk together coconut milk, Greek yogurt, orange zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Fold in fruit mixture and coconut. Scoop salad into a hollowed-out pineapple bowl.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of crushed mini wheat cereal prior to serving. (You will have extra fruit salad; refrigerate extra and refill pineapple as needed or consider coring out 2 pineapples.)
- To make the pineapple bowl: slice off the top of the pineapple, about 2 inches below the leaves.
- Use a small paring knife or grapefruit knife to cut a circle around the outside of the pineapple, leaving about 1/2-inch border of flesh. (Despite the hard exterior, ripe pineapples are very soft so be careful not to puncture through the fruit.)
- Scoop out the insides of the pineapple by using a metal spoon (an ice scream scoop with sharp edges or a large spoon works well). Use a paring knife to cut away any tough parts of the core. It may be helpful to also cut around where the core is so that you can cut and pull out this part. Be careful not to scoop too deeply; leave about a 2-inch thick base so the pineapple remains upright and doesn't leak.
- Use the flesh in the Ambrosia Salad recipe above. Be sure to remove the parts from the tough core before adding the flesh to the salad recipe.
150 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 150%