Lentils are a fantastic and often overlooked alternative for meat. Not only are they high in protein, they also provide a good amount of fiber and folate.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. onion, chopped|
|1 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|1 tsp. canola oil|
|1 c. dried lentils|
|1 tbsp. chili powder|
|2 tsp. ground cumin|
|1 tsp. dried oregano|
|2 ½ c. vegetable broth|
|1 c. salsa|
|12 taco shells, 1 1/2 c. shredded lettuce, 1 c. chopped tomato, 1 1/2 c. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, 6 tbsp plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, for serving|
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender in a non-stick skillet.
- Add lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Uncover, cook 6 to 8 minutes until thickened.
- Mash lentils slightly and stir in salsa.
- Place about 1/4 cup lentil mixture in each taco shell.
- Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and Greek yogurt.
160 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 27g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 6%
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.