Grilled Romaine with Red Root Vegetables
The secret to the deep flavors in this salad is a hint cocoa in the salad dressing. It brings out the savory grilled goodness of the salad.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 (4 oz each) logs goat cheese, chilled|
|2 (2 oz each) pkgs Hy-Vee walnut pieces, toasted, divided|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter|
|2 bunch(es) radishes, trimmed, cleaned and quartered|
|Hy-Vee sea salt and freshly ground Hy-Vee black pepper|
|Hy-Vee Select olive oil, as needed|
|1 1 (8 oz) pkg Melissa's baby beets, larger beets quartered and smaller beets halved|
|1 (18 oz) pkg Hy-Vee romaine hearts, halved lengthwise through the core|
|½ small red onion, very thinly sliced|
|Cocoa Vinaigrette, recipe below|
|Take & Bake honey whole grain baguette, prepared according to package directions, optional|
- Roll goat cheese in 3/4 cup walnuts and cut into 12 slices. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté radishes until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return pan to medium heat and add beets. Add a drizzle of olive oil, if needed. Heat through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush romaine with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill or grill pan and cook until the lettuce begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes, turning once. The color will also brighten.
- Lay grilled romaine spears on a platter. Top with radishes, beets, red onion rings and slices of goat cheese. Drizzle with cocoa vinaigrette and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toasted walnuts. Serve with freshly baked baguette, if desired.
- To make Cocoa Vinaigrette, combine 1/2 cup Hy-Vee Select red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons Hy-Vee cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Hy-Vee sugar, 3/4 teaspoon Hy-Vee sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Hy-Vee black pepper in a jar. Close tightly and shake well. Add 1/2 cup Hy-Vee Select olive oil, close jar tightly and shake until well combined.
450 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 40g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 12g
- Protein: 11g
Vitamin A 110%
Vitamin C 40%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2011.