Banana-Streusel Croissant Pudding with Maple Sauce
The fluffy interiors and buttery layers of croissants add rich flavor and light texture to bread pudding. The dessert puffs up beautifully in the oven but will deflate at it cools, so bake it just before serving.
Servings and Ingredients
|Hy-Vee butter, for baking dish|
|6 Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|4 c. Hy-Vee half-and-half or light cream|
|1 c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|1 ½ lbs. Hy-Vee Bakery croissants (about 8 large croissants)|
|3 ripe medium bananas, sliced 1-inch thick|
|¾ c. packed Hy-Vee brown sugar, divided|
|1 c. Hy-Vee chopped pecans|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee butter|
|Hy-Vee powdered sugar, for garnish|
|1 c. whipping cream|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee Select 100% pure maple syrup|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 3-quart baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, granulated sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Tear croissants apart into bite-size pieces; place pieces in prepared baking dish. Add sliced bananas; toss to mix. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Let soak for 8 to 10 minutes, pushing croissant pieces down into liquid so each piece is soaked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and pecans. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of croissant mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. If desired, sift with powdered sugar just before serving.
- For maple sauce, in a small saucepan combine whipping cream, 1/4 cup brown sugar and maple syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture almost boils. Remove from heat. Serve over warm bread pudding.
690 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 41g
- Cholesterol: 190mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 72g
- Protein: 12g
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 35%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2015.