Soup, Chili & Stew
Baked Potato Soup
Chock-full of creamy, tender potatoes, this baked potato soup is made from a homemade roux (butter, flour, and milk mixture) and is topped with smoky bacon and shredded cheese.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ lbs. Hy-Vee russet potatoes, peeled and diced|
|4 slice(s) Hy-Vee applewood smoked bacon|
|1 small yellow onion, finely chopped|
|2 large celery stalks, finely chopped|
|2 c. Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk|
|1 (15 ounce) can Hy-Vee 33% less sodium chicken broth|
|½ tsp. freshly ground Hy-Vee black pepper|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee flour|
|½ c. Hy-Vee half-and-half|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee pepper, to taste|
|Chopped fresh parsley, Hy-Vee shredded Colby cheese and chopped green onions, for garnish|
Things To Grab
- 2 large pots
- Paper towels
- Small saucepan
- Potato masher
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large pot over medium-low heat. Remove bacon; drain on paper towels and crumble. Cook onion and celery in bacon grease, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add milk, chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until mixture begins to bubble, about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in half-and-half and whisk until mixture is very thick. Whisk into soup.
- Stir potatoes and crumbled bacon into soup. Gently crush potatoes with potato masher. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, cheese and green onions, if desired.
280 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 320mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 40%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook, Hy-Vee weekly ad.