Spray an 8x8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Lightly dust with some of the powdered sugar; set aside. Pour ice cold water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the gelatin and allow to soften; set aside.
You're in for a treat when you whip up soft, fluffy marshmallow confections at home. Compared to purchased, the marshmallows have a slightly more vanilla taste and are not quite as sugary.
Servings and Ingredients
|Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar, divided|
|⅓ c.||ice cold water|
|2||(1/4 oz each) envelopes unflavored gelatin|
|1 ⅓ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ c.||light corn syrup|
|2 tbsp.||plus 2 tsp agave nectar|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
Things To Grab
- 8x8-inch square pan
- Stand mixer with whisk attachement
- 2-quart saucepan with lid
- Candy thermometer
- Rubber spatula
- Nonstick perforated cutting wheel or chef's knife
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup, agave nectar and salt. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cover and let bubble 2 minutes to remove any sugar crystals on side of pan.
- Uncover saucepan. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Cook, without stirring, over medium-high heat until the thermometer registers 240 degrees. Adjust the temperature as needed so mixture cooks at a moderate, steady rate.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Slowly pour the hot candy mixture over the gelatin mixture in the mixing bowl and stir well to combine. The mixture will foam and bubble up in the bowl.
- Mix on low speed. Gradually increase speed to high and beat until mixture is opaque and thick, 8 to 9 minutes total. Add vanilla.
- Continue beating mixture on high until thoroughly combined. The mixture should appear thick, yet have a spreadable consistency.
- Immediately transfer the marshmallow mixture to the prepared pan. Using an oiled spatula makes it easier to work with the mixture.
- Quickly and gently spread the marshmallow mixture evenly in the pan, applying more oil to the spatula, if needed.
Sift some of the remaining powdered sugar on top. Let stand, uncovered, 4 to 12 hours. Run an oiled knife along edges of pan to loosen sides of marshmallow mixture and invert onto cutting board.
Using a nonstick perforated cutting wheel or chef's knife, cut marshmallows into 2-inch pieces. (If the knife sticks, sprinkle it with powdered sugar.) Toss the marshmallows in the remaining powdered sugar to coat.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 40mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 1g