Antipasto Salad with Flax Seed Dressing
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||olive oil|
|2 tbsp.||flax seed|
|2 tbsp.||white wine vinegar|
|2 tbsp.||chopped fresh herbs or 2 tsp dry herbs (parsley, oregano, basil or your choice)|
|½ tsp.||dry mustard|
|ground pepper, to taste|
|6 c.||washed, dried, torn and chilled iceberg lettuce|
|1||(4.5 oz) can sliced pitted ripe olives|
|1||(6 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained with liquid reserved|
|12||mushrooms, cut in half|
|12||cherry tomatoes, cut in half|
|2 tbsp.||grated Parmesan cheese|
|6||hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered|
|12 slice(s)||salami, cut into 1/4-inch strips|
|6||pickled peperoncini peppers, optional|
|red onion or green pepper rings, for garnish|
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil and flax seed over medium heat until flax seed starts to darken and pop - about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, combine white wine vinegar, water, herbs, dry mustard, salt, pepper, toasted flax seed mixture and the reserved artichoke liquid.
- Blend until flax seed is coarse - about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, ripe olives, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and tomatoes with the dressing and Parmesan cheese.
- Divide salad onto 6 chilled plates.
- Garnish each salad with hard-boiled egg quarters, salami strips, and pickled peppers or onion or green pepper rings.
316 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 24g
- Cholesterol: 230mg
- Sodium: 1212mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 12g
- Protein: 14g
Family Favourites Flax cookbook, by the University of Manitoba, Flax Council of Canada, Sa