When preparing brisket, Chef Mark likes to leave the fat intact. It melts as the brisket smokes, basting the meat for succulent barbecue, he says. Pair this savory brisket with a bottle of German Rauchbier (smoked beer) or a glass of Spanish Rioja wine.
Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|¼ c.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|¼ c.||sweet Hungarian paprika|
|1 ½ tbsp.||Hy-Vee sea salt|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee lemon pepper seasoning|
|1 tsp.||ground allspice|
|1||(6- to 8-pound) untrimmed beef brisket|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee apple juice or apple cider, plus more as needed|
|Hickory and cherry wood chips|
|1||recipe Homemade BBQ Sauce, optional|
- For rub, in a small bowl stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, lemon pepper seasoning and allspice. If desired, press through a strainer to remove any lumps.
- Pat brisket dry with paper towels. Apply the rub all over the brisket, making sure to coat the meat evenly. Cover the brisket with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Pour apple juice into a clean spray bottle used only for food; set aside.
- In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, wood chips, and water in a water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Add additional coals and adjust vents as needed to maintain a temperature between 220 degrees and 250 degrees.
- Place meat on a well-greased rack directly over water pan. Cover or close smoker and smoke for 2 hours, adding equal amounts of hickory and cherry wood chips as needed to maintain smoke. Continue cooking brisket in smoker without smoke for an additional 6 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deepest part of the brisket reaches 185 degrees to 190 degrees, spraying brisket generously with apple juice every hour.
- Remove brisket from smoker. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 20 minutes. To serve, thinly slice meat against the grain and, if desired, top with barbecue sauce.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 510mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 24g