Lemon Pull-Apart Bread
Craft two gorgeous loaves of lemon and almond bread at once—then give them a finishing touch of lemon icing.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(3 pound) pkg frozen sweet bread dough|
|6 tbsp.||lemon zest (from about 4 to 5 lemons)|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|4 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, at room temperature|
|1||(2 oz) pkg Hy-Vee sliced almonds, toasted, divided|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|3 to 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice|
- Thaw bread dough according to package directions.
- Line two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on each long side. Spray parchment with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- For lemon sugar, in a small bowl combine lemon zest and granulated sugar; set aside.
- When dough is thawed, on a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion into a 12-by-8-inch rectangle. Cut dough into two 12-by-4-inch strips; set aside. Repeat with remaining dough portions for 6 strips total.
- To assemble loaves, brush some of the softened butter onto a dough strip; sprinkle with 2 heaping tablespoons lemon sugar and about 1 tablespoon almonds. Top with a second dough strip, repeating with the butter, lemon sugar and almonds. Repeat three more times to create a stack of five strips. Top with remaining dough strip. Cut the stack crosswise into six 4-by-2-inch sections. Carefully transfer three of the sections, stacking cut-sides up, into one of the prepared pans, leaving room around the edges to allow for the bread to rise and expand. Place remaining sections in second pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 30 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. If top of bread becomes too golden before bottom is cooked through, lightly cover with foil until baked through. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool.
- While bread is cooling, in a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and melted butter. Add enough lemon juice for icing consistency. Spread icing onto each loaf; sprinkle with remaining almonds.
170 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 170mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2014.