Layered Caprese Pint-Jar Salad
A light sprinkling of salt on the salad just before eating brings out the tomato juices, which taste delicious with the sweet milky cheese and fragrant basil.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||Hy-Vee whole-wheat penne pasta|
|½ c.||fresh basil leaves|
|2 clove(s)||garlic, peeled|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee chopped walnuts|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee grated Parmesan cheese|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee canola oil|
|5 oz.||fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced|
|1 c.||red cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1 c.||yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered|
|1 c.||baby spinach leaves|
|fresh basil, sliced into thin ribbons|
|Hy-Vee salt, to taste|
Things To Grab
- Food processor
- 2 glass screw-top jars, such as mason jars
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain; set aside.
- For pesto dressing, in a food processor combine basil, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese. Cover and pulse until combined. Slowly add oil. Cover and process until thoroughly combined.
- Divide pesto between 2 jars. Top with mozzarella slices, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, pasta, spinach and basil ribbons. Cover and chill.
- To serve, empty contents onto a plate, tossing to combine. Season with salt to taste.
340 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 31g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 19g
Vitamin A 80%
Vitamin C 50%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2016