Whole Wheat Pizza Dough from Seasons
Making homemade pizza can be a family experience when the kids are involved. Whole wheat flour and flaxseed add protein, fiber and a yummy, nutty flavor to the crust.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee whole wheat flour|
|1 tbsp.||wheat germ|
|1 tbsp.||ground flaxseed|
|1 c.||warm water (110 to 115 degrees)|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|1||(1/4 oz) pkg active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee vegetable oil|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|Sauce options: pizza sauce, Alfredo sauce, black bean dipping sauce, sundried tomato pesto|
|Veggie options: broccoli florets or broccolini, red or yellow cherry tomatoes, bell pepper slices, red or green onion slices, sweet corn, zucchini or yellow summer squash slices, baby spinach leaves, guacamole|
|Cheese options: fresh mozzarella or soft goat cheese or shredded Monterey Jack, cheddar, Swiss or Parmesan|
Things To Grab
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, wheat germ and flaxseed; set aside.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand for 5 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear. Stir oil and salt into yeast mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir yeast mixture into flour mixture. Continue stirring to combine ingredients until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in any loose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. To knead dough, fold and push away with the heel of your hand. Turn dough and repeat until smooth.
- Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Punch dough down. Divide dough into six portions. Roll each portion into a 6- to 8-inch circle. Spread desired sauce over dough. Top with desired veggies and cheeses.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- *Note: To freeze pizza dough, wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and freeze in a resealable plastic bag for up to 1 week. Thaw dough portions in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours, or at room temperature for about 3 hours, before using.
270 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2014.