Soup, Chili & Stew
White Lightning Texas Chili
Servings and Ingredients
|1 lbs. dried navy beans|
|4 (14.5 oz each) cans chicken broth, divided|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|2 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|1 tbsp. white pepper|
|1 tbsp. dried oregano|
|1 tbsp. ground cumin|
|1 tsp. salt|
|5 c. chopped chicken|
|1 tbsp. olive oil|
|2 (4 oz each) cans green chilies|
|1 c. water|
|1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped|
|8 (8-inch) flour tortillas|
|shredded Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, sour cream, for serving|
- Sort and wash navy beans. Place in large Dutch oven. Cover beans with water, to about 2 inches above the beans. Soak 8 hours. Drain beans, discard water and return beans to Dutch oven.
- Spoon chili into tortilla-lined bowls. Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, salsa and sour cream.
- Add 2 to 3 cans of chicken broth, plus onion, garlic, white pepper, oregano, cumin and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown cut-up chicken in olive oil.
- Add remaining can (or cans) of chicken broth, browned chicken, green chilies, 1 cup water and jalapeno pepper. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- With kitchen shears, make 4 cuts in each tortilla toward, but not through, the center. Line serving bowls with tortillas, overlapping the edges.