Gluten-free millet lends a mild corn flavor and heartiness to meatless burgers. Bake and freeze patties to use for future sandwiches or salads.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅔ c. dry millet|
|1 ⅓ c. water|
|3 slice(s) gluten-free multi ancient grain bread|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|¾ c. shredded zucchini|
|½ c. Hy-Vee Select shredded Asiago cheese|
|¼ c. chopped onion|
|¼ c. shredded carrot|
|3 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|2 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil|
|1 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|6 Hy-Vee Bakery whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted|
|2 medium tomatoes, sliced|
|4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, toast millet over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Add water to saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor pulse bread until coarse crumbs form; remove 1 cup bread crumbs. In a small bowl, combine eggs, zucchini, Asiago cheese, onion, carrot, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir in millet and bread crumbs. Form into six patties. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn patties and bake for 5 minutes more or until golden. Serve on buns with tomato slices and mozzarella slices and, if desired, arugula.
- To store and serve later, cool patties. Layer patties between parchment paper and transfer to a storage container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. If frozen, thaw patties in refrigerator. Reheat patties in the microwave.
420 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Sodium: 690mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 55g
- Protein: 19g
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2016. Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, July 30, 2016