Vegan and Gluten-Free Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers
Built around healthful quinoa, holiday dressing flavors come alive with the blend of spices, apple and bell pepper.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. low-sodium gluten-free vegetable stock or broth|
|1 c. fresh apple cider|
|1 tsp. fennel seed, lightly crushed|
|1 c. quinoa, rinsed|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 ¼ c. diced celery|
|1 ¼ c. diced onion|
|2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|½ c. Hy-Vee dried cranberries|
|½ c. Hy-Vee chopped pecans, optional|
|2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme|
|1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage|
|6 medium green bell peppers, tops cut off and hollowed|
|Fresh thyme, for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable stock, apple cider and fennel seed to a boil over medium-high heat. Add quinoa, cover and return to a boil. Simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté celery, onions, apples, salt and black pepper for 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Combine quinoa and sautéed vegetables. Stir in cranberries, pecans, thyme and sage. Spoon into bell peppers and place in a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until peppers are tender and stuffing is heated through. Serve garnished with fresh thyme.
360 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 56g
- Protein: 7g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 240%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2012.