You had us at pinwheels. There's something about the mesmerizing swirls that make these cookies irresistible.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|Scraped seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean|
|1 tbsp. orange zest|
|1 tsp. orange oil, optional|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|¾ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|2 ⅓ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp. red food coloring|
|⅓ c. coarse sanding sugar|
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar. Beat for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla bean, orange zest, orange oil, vanilla and salt.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with electric mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough in half. Stir food coloring into one dough portion. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll each dough portion into an 11-by-7-inch rectangle between sheets of parchment paper. Invert red dough rectangle on top of plain dough rectangle; remove parchment from red dough.
- Starting from a long side, roll up dough, using bottom layer of parchment to help guide and lift the roll. Pinch dough edges to seal. Scatter sanding sugar on work surface; roll log in sugar to coat. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If necessary, reshape roll to make it round. Using a serrated knife, cut roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and centers are set. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool.
- Vanilla-Orange Twist Cookies: Prepare and tint dough as directed above. Roll each dough portion into a 12-inch log. Twist logs around each other in candy-cane fashion and gently roll for a 14-inch log. Wrap and chill log and bake cookies as directed.
80 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 40mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.