Upside-Down Plum Cake
The sweet plum topping cooks down while baking and settles nicely into the tender butter cake. When the cake is inverted, you have a showpiece dessert with luscious fruit oozing over the top and dripping down the sides.
Servings and Ingredients
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|4 tbsp.||plus 1/2 c. Hy-Vee butter, softened, divided|
|1 ½ c.||plus 2 tbsp Hy-Vee sugar, divided|
|2 tbsp.||red plum jam|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1 tsp.||orange zest|
|½ c.||heavy whipping cream|
|Sweetened whipped cream, optional|
- Separate yolks and whites from eggs. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of a 9-inch-round baking pan with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper; spray paper with nonstick spray and coat with flour; set aside.
- Halve plums crosswise; remove stones. Cut plums into thin slices; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup sugar and jam. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into prepared baking pan. Arrange plum slices in a single layer on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed of an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and orange zest, scraping sides of bowl.
- Alternately add flour mixture and heavy whipping cream to butter mixture, beating on low after each addition, just until combined; set aside.
- Using thoroughly cleaned beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold beaten whites into cake batter. Spoon batter over plums in pan; spread evenly.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes.
- Using a small sharp knife, loosen cake around edge of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Remove and discard parchment paper. Serve cake warm topped with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
500 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 25g
- Cholesterol: 135mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 66g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2015.