Tropical Toasted Angel Food Cake
Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c. freshly-squeezed orange juice|
|1 pt. blueberries|
|1 pt. strawberries, hulled and sliced|
|½ c. water|
|½ c. Hy-Vee sugar|
|2 tbsp. freshly-grated orange peel|
|1 tbsp. coconut extract|
|1 (12 oz) Hy-Vee bakery-prepared angel food cake|
|1 c. Hy-Vee sweetened coconut flakes|
Things To Grab
- Combine orange juice, blueberries and strawberries. Toss to mix and marinate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare syrup. Combine 1/2 cup water, sugar, orange peel and coconut extract in saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat; stir and simmer 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. If necessary, brush sides of saucepan with wet pastry brush to prevent burning.
- Slice angel food cake into 1-inch thick wedges. Arrange slices on baking sheet. Using pastry brush, brush syrup mixture evenly over both sides of each slice of cake.
- Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place 3 prepared cake slices in pan to toast 2 minutes per side; remove to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices. Add coconut flakes to skillet to toast 4 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- To serve, place toasted cake on plate and top with berries and toasted coconut flakes.
160 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 35%