An Italian classic, this cake combines almond flour with chocolate and butter. The result is a crisp exterior and a fudgy interior that's perfect with fresh whipped cream.
Servings and Ingredients
|8 oz.||bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|6||egg yolks, at room temperature|
|2 tbsp.||orange liqueur, optional|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee almond flour|
|6||egg whites, at room temperature|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee sliced almonds|
|Hy-Vee powdered sugar, to garnish|
|Marbled Raspberry Cream|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|2 tbsp.||raspberry syrup|
|Fresh raspberries, optional|
Things To Grab
- 9-inch springform pan
- Parchment paper
- Microwave-safe bowl
- 3 large bowls
- Electric mixer
- Preheat to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter on MEDIUM for 15 second increments, stirring after each time, until the chocolate is completely melted and thoroughly combined with the butter.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and orange liqueur with an electric mixer until light colored and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup granulated sugar. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Stir in the almond flour until completely incorporated.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until doubled in volume and soft peaks form. In three additions, gently fold the whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Arrange almond slices side by side on the top of the cake until completely covered.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes before removing sides of the springform pan, then cool completely on a wire rack. Turn cake upside down onto a plate and remove parchment paper. Turn cake right-side up again using plate and sift powdered sugar on the top.
Prepare Marbled Raspberry Cream: Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl beat heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy and soft peaks form. Fold in raspberry syrup just until partially incorporated.
Serve with Marbled Raspberry Cream and fresh raspberries, if desired.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 60g
- Cholesterol: 190mg
- Sodium: 60mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 49g
- Protein: 15g