Three-Cheese Sweet Potato and Kale Gratin
Comfort food gone healthy, this cheesy gratin packs in the nutrients. Plus you can practically make a meal out of it—just top with shredded rotisserie chicken.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|1||onion, finely chopped|
|8 c.||finely shredded kale|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee pepper, divided|
|1 c.||shredded Gruyere cheese|
|1 c.||shredded smoked cheddar cheese|
|½ c.||grated Parmesan cheese|
|1 ¾ c.||whipping cream|
|¼ tsp.||ground nutmeg|
|3 lbs.||sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and thinly sliced|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh chives, optional|
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat; cook onion for 4 or 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in kale, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until kale is wilted and tender. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Toss together Gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Stir together cream, nutmeg and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Layer half of the sweet potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slices to resemble shingles. Top with half of the kale mixture, half of the cheese mixture and half of the cream; repeat layers.
- Cover the surface directly with parchment paper, then cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour; remove foil and parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives, if using.
- Tip: Substitute Gouda or aged cheddar for smoked cheddar cheese if desired.
300 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 22g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 320mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 300%
Vitamin C 45%