Sweet-and-Salty Mexican Churro Snack Mix
Interestingly, a squeeze of lime juice is the secret ingredient in this addictive snack mix.
Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee butter|
|1 c.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|¼ c.||lime juice|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|8 c.||plain popped popcorn|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee toasted wheat cereal|
|2 c.||pretzel squares or Hy-Vee tiny twists|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee pecan pieces|
|1||(3.5 oz) bar dark chocolate, chopped|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add brown sugar, lime juice and salt. Bring to boil, swirling pan to combine. Once sugar has dissolved, boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; carefully stir in baking soda and cinnamon.
- Toss caramel with popcorn, cereal, pretzels and pecans; spread evenly on prepared pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until caramel has set. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate in heatproof bowl set over small saucepan of barely simmering water (bowl should not touch water). Heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth; drizzle over popcorn mixture. Let stand until set.
- Package in festive tins or clear bags to give as gifts during the holiday season.
- Zoet Dark Chocolate 57% Cacao is an excellent choice when selecting a good-quality chocolate to prepare this treat.
430 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 770mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 62g
- Protein: 6g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 4%