Sunflower-Encrusted Beef Tenderloin
A swirl of berry sauce called Wojapi can be seen at the center of this beef. Enjoyed by Native Americans for untold generations in South Dakota, Wojapi inspired Chef Jamie Koehler to create a savory-sweet dish. Ask your Hy-Vee meat specialist to double-butterfly the tenderloin for you.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) beef tenderloin|
|1 tsp. kosher salt|
|1 c. roasted and salted sunflower kernels|
|1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme|
|1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage|
|1 tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, softened|
- Prepare Wojapi Sauce.
- Trim silverskin and excess fat from tenderloin. Butterfly tenderloin by slicing it lengthwise down the center to within 1/2 inch of the other side so that you can open it like a book. Cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound meat to even thickness. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place sunflower kernels in a large resealable plastic bag. Using a meat mallet, pound kernels into smaller pieces. Add thyme, sage and pepper. Add butter and knead mixture with your hands until combined; set aside.
- To stuff and roll the tenderloin, spoon the strained fruit from Wojapi Sauce mixture down the center of tenderloin, reserving sauce for serving; spread evenly. Roll up tenderloin and tie with butcher string (to hold shape during cooking) at two-inch intervals. To create an even thickness, fold under smaller end of tenderloin and tie in place with butcher string, if necessary.
- Season tenderloin with additional salt. Pat the sunflower mixture evenly on the top portion of the tenderloin only, pressing in gently.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking. Oil the grill rack. Place roll on grill rack over drip pan. Grill tenderloin until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest section registers 135 degrees for medium-rare, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Remove tenderloin from grill; cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Meat temperature will rise 10 degrees during the time it stands.
- Serve steak slices with Fry Bread and Wojapi dipping sauce.
430 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 30g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 24g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2014.