Summer Cornbread Salad
If fresh corn is in season, feel free to cut kernels from the cob and add to this salad.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c.||whole grain cornbread cubes (1-inch pieces)*|
|3||large bunches fresh kale (approximately 16 to 18 cups)|
|3||small ripe avocados, peeled and chopped|
|2 tsp.||Gourmet Garden Garlic|
|2 tbsp.||lime juice|
|1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt|
|1 ½ lbs.||ripe tomatoes (4 to 6 medium), chopped|
|1||large Vidalia onion, trimmed, peeled, sliced crosswise very thinly and separated into rings|
|1||recipe Buttermilk-Lime Dressing|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|¾ c.||whole or low-fat buttermilk|
|5 tbsp.||freshly squeezed lime juice|
|2 tbsp.||olive oil|
|1 tbsp.||apple cider vinegar, optional|
|2 tbsp.||Gourmet Garden Basil|
|2 tbsp.||Gourmet Garden Parsley|
|¼ c.||finely minced green onions|
|½ tsp.||salt, plus more to taste|
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Scatter the cornbread cubes in a single layer on a half-sheet pan and bake until the pieces are lightly toasted, about 7 minutes.
- Rinse and drain kale; separate leaves from tough stems by pulling leaves away from stem. Discard stems and tear leaves into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- To the large bowl, add avocado, garlic, lime and salt. “Massage” the kale-avocado mixture with your fingertips for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture shrinks to half the original volume. (The avocado and garlic should be completely incorporated and the kale leaves soft and smooth.) Set aside (you can hold the salad, covered and refrigerated) at this point for several hours until serving).
- Whisk all the ingredients for Buttermilk-Lime Dressing together in a small bowl until combined.
- In a large bowl, toss massaged kale, toasted cornbread, diced tomatoes and sliced onion until combined.
- Drizzle with buttermilk dressing, season with salt and pepper and gently toss again. Serve immediately.
- *Use leftover corn bread or use a whole grain mix to whip up a batch quickly, such as Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Whole Grain Cornbread Mix for a gluten-free variation.
Kym Wroble, RD, LD, Waterfront (Iowa City) Hy-Vee Dietitian.