Stuffed Baked Apples
As they bake, the filling cooks down into a caramel-like center and seeps into the apple. That means you get something amazing in every bite.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅔ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|9 tbsp.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, divided|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee dried cranberries|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee pecan pieces|
|6 tbsp.||packed Hy-Vee dark brown sugar|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|6||apples (Gala, Rome Beauty, Jonagold or Granny Smith)|
|Hy-Vee lemon juice|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of glass 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- For syrup, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine water, sugar and 3 tablespoons butter. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; stir and continue this process until sugar is dissolved and syrup just comes to a boil. Stir vanilla into syrup mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cranberries, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and cut in with pastry blender or fork until mixture is thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Using an apple corer, work from both ends of apple to remove core. Remove enough of the center to hold 3-4 tablespoons filling. Peel top of apple, if desired. Rub inside with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Stuff apples with cranberry mixture and pack tightly, mounding on top, and place in prepared baking dish. Pour syrup around apples (not over top) in bottom of baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes or until just tender. Do not over-bake or apples will get mushy and lose their shape. Serve apples drizzled with warm syrup.
490 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 24g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 72g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 15%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2012.