Strawberry-Filled Lemon Meringue Pillows
Servings and Ingredients
|2 Hy-Vee egg whites|
|⅛ tsp. cream of tartar|
|⅓ c. plus 1 tbsp Hy-Vee sugar, divided|
|1 ½ tsp. fresh lemon zest|
|16 oz. fresh strawberries|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice|
|4 tbsp. Hy-Vee fat-free whipped topping, thawed|
|mint leaves, optional|
- Let egg whites sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Stiff peaks are achieved when peaks stand straight up when beaters are lifted from the bowl.
- Gently fold in lemon zest.
- Spoon onto parchment-lined baking sheet into 4 equal mounds, spreading slightly and making an indentation in the middle of each.
- Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour 20 minutes. Turn oven off and leave in the oven for 1 hour, keeping the door closed. When dry, meringue pillows should be completely dry and sound hollow when tapped. Remove shells from oven, cool and gently peel from the parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, clean and slice the strawberries. Reserve 1/2 cup, then mash remaining slices and place in a saucepan with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling; boil for about 1 minute until mixture thickens. Let simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add reserved strawberry slices and lemon juice.
- Refrigerate sauce until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, divide strawberry sauce among the 4 shells. Add a tablespoon of whipped topping to each. Garnish with mint leaves if desired.
140 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 120%