Strawberries and Cream Semifreddo
"Semifreddo" literally translates to "semi-cold" in Italian. This partially frozen Italian dessert would be a perfect ending to a Sunday dinner or celebratory meal.
Servings and Ingredients
|4 egg yolks|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee sugar, divided|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee whole milk|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|8 oz. Hy-Vee frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed (about 1-1/2 c.)|
|2 c. heavy whipping cream, divided|
|2 c. sliced fresh strawberries|
|¼ c. coarsely chopped pistachios|
|Additional fresh strawberries, for garnish|
- Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in whole milk. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture coats the back of a spatula. Do not boil. Place saucepan in a large bowl of ice water and stir frequently until mixture is cool. Stir in vanilla.
- Puree thawed strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; strain mixture into a bowl, discarding seeds. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg mixture into whipped cream. Fold 1-1/3 cups cream mixture into strained strawberries. Spread berry mixture in bottom of prepared pan. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, stir fresh sliced strawberries into remaining cream mixture. Cover and chill while first mixture is freezing. After 2 hours, spread mixture over frozen layer. Cover and freeze for 6 to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, invert loaf onto a serving platter; remove plastic wrap. In a mixing bowl, beat remaining 1 cup whipping cream and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over loaf. Sprinkle pistachios on top. If desired, garnish with additional strawberries.
380 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 28g
- Cholesterol: 180mg
- Sodium: 45mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 60%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2014.