Spinach, Bacon and Havarti Strata
Stratas, typically made with bread, egg, and cheese, can be assembled the night before, refrigerated overnight, and baked off in the morning.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(20 ounce) loaf Hy-Vee Baking Stone whole grain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|1||large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|1 c.||chopped onion|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|3 c.||lightly packed fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped|
|8 oz.||Hy-Vee turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled|
|4 oz.||Havarti cheese, shredded, divided|
|18||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground nutmeg|
|½ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|¼ tsp.||ground white pepper|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of cubed bread on bottom of dish. Set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick spray. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add crumbled bacon to vegetables.
- Spread half of vegetable mixture evenly over bread cubes in dish. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Layer with remaining bread cubes and vegetable mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and white pepper. Stir in milk. Pour egg mixture evenly over ingredients in dish.
- Refrigerate overnight. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 60 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese is melted and knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
500 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 520mg
- Sodium: 1230mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 32g
Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 60%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2012.