Servings and Ingredients
|2 (28 oz each) cans Hy-Vee peeled whole tomatoes in juice|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil, divided|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|6 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped|
|Hy-Vee crushed red pepper flakes, to taste|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee tomato paste|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee Italian seasoning|
|1 bay leaf|
|Hy-Vee salt and freshly ground Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|1 lbs. lean ground beef|
|½ c. Hy-Vee plain bread crumbs|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg, beaten|
|2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley|
|1 (1 pound) pkg Hy-Vee long spaghetti|
|Hy-Vee shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, for serving|
- Drain tomatoes; reserve juice. Chop tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion until softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove 1/4 cup of onion and garlic mixture and place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Add red pepper flakes to onion mixture in saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, reserved juice, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, add ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and parsley to the cooled onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Form into 16 balls.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs on all sides. Transfer meatballs to simmering tomato sauce. Simmer 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over hot spaghetti with shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
420 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 510mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 59g
- Protein: 22g
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 30%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook, Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of September 22, 2015.