Sophisticated Poached Pears
Servings and Ingredients
|20 oz.||red dessert wine, such as port, red Zinfandel or Muscadet|
|8 oz.||strawberry jam or apricot glaze or mixed berry/apple jam|
|4 oz.||orange juice|
|1 oz.||orange zest|
|½ oz.||lemon zest|
|1 oz.||ground ginger|
|25||(5 oz each) fresh pears|
- In a braising pan, combine wine, jam, orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and ginger. Bring to a simmer.
- Place pears in the poaching liquid and simmer until pears are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pears and allow to cool. Refrigerate pears. Strain the poaching liquid.
- Strained liquid can be used as a hot sauce by returning liquid to heat and allowing to reduce until thickened.
- Sauce can also be used as a cold garnish by freezing the strained liquid. Remove frozen sauce from freezer and chop, as a "pear ice".
147 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 1g
Vegan in Volume.